VPSC's Return to the Pool
This page will include important information for all VPSC members around VPSC's "Return to Swimming" and COVID Policies and Procedures. Please make sure to visit this page frequently as information will be updated as policies change across our province and country.
VPSC Return to Swimming Policies and Procedures
Please see the most up to date (as of June 12th, 2021) VPSC Return to Swimming Policies and Procedures. Please make sure to read through this document before returning to any VPSC programming.
VPSC COVID-19 Procedures
Please read below for a reminder about check-in protocols:
1) Pre-Screening. If a swimmer shows up for practice, the club will assume that they have passed their pre-screening to participate in the workout. A swimmer or parent can do a self-assessment HERE. However, if a coach sees a swimmer that shows cold, flu or Covid-19 symptoms, they will be asked to dry-off, place their mask on and then continue to get dressed in order to maintain the current mask mandate.
2) Masks. All coaches and participants are still required to wear masks while they are on the pool deck up to the point that they are ready to enter the water. When workout is done, swimmers will be asked to dry-off, place their mask on and then continue to get dressed in order to maintain the current mask mandate.
3) No spectators permitted at the pool. In order to maintain appropriate on-deck capacities, parents are still not permitted to observe practice at the pool.
4) Swimmers MUST arrive on time. On time is 15 minutes prior to the scheduled practice to enter the facility with the coach. Swimmers who arrive LATE will NOT be allowed to participate in practice.
5) Washroom/Changeroom use. We are permitted to use the washrooms at our pools to go to the bathroom and get changed. However, the changerooms are not able to fit the capacity of our groups given the current guidelines, so we're still requesting swimmers to arrive 'swim-ready' with the swimsuit underneath their clothes.
6) Swimmers will be reminded to maintain proper social distance guidelines at all times that they are on site at the facilities. Please note that no outdoor shoes are permitted on the deck, so a separate pair of deck sandals is recommended.
7) If you have any questions, please reach out to our Covid Officer, Priscilla Walsh at firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional Facility Information
St. George's Pool
St. George’s School has asked us to change the drop-off/pick-up procedures for all our practices at the St. George’s pool starting on MONDAY, NOVEMBER 1ST. There are many important changes so please read through these instructions carefully:
1) ALL drop-offs and pick-ups will now happen along 29th Avenue in front of the main entrance of the school. We will no longer be using Camosun St. to meet and parents are no longer permitted to meet their swimmers by the emergency exit door of the pool.
2) Swimmers will meet Coaches under the covered area in front of the Main Front Doors of the school. For those that swam at St. George’s last season, this is the same meeting area that we used last season.
3) 15 MINUTES prior to the start of workout, coaches will lead the swimmers AS A GROUP along the WEST side of the school and enter through Door “I”. This is the same entry door that we used prior to the pandemic.
4) Once the group is inside the building, swimmers will proceed directly to the pool deck through the Athletic Wing of the school.
5) Swimmers should still arrive ‘swim-ready’ with their swimsuits underneath their clothes so that they can quickly disrobe and transition into the pool.
6) At the end of practice, the coaches will gather the swimmers as a group, exit through Door “I” and return to the Front of the school for the parents to pick up their swimmers.
In addition to these instructions, there are additional rules that we must follow. Breaking any of these rules will jeopardize our use of the pool and may result in the club losing training time and space at St. George’s pool:
1) Swimmers are not permitted to be in any part of the school other than the athletic wing, the pool and the changerooms.
2) Parents are not permitted to drive on school property AT ANY TIME.
3) Parents and swimmers are not permitted to walk through the driveway without being accompanied by a coach.
As a result of these rules, swimmers who arrive after the coaches have led the group to the pool will NOT be permitted to attend practice and will have to return home. Parents should not leave their drop-off until they can confirm the swimmers are with the coaches. We also ask parents to be ready to pick-up their swimmers immediately upon the conclusion of workout to ensure that we are creating minimal disruptions at the school and the neighborhood.
This is a significant change and St. George’s has asked us to strictly adhere to these instructions and rules starting immediately. If you have any questions or issues, please contact the Lead Coach for your group.
UBC Aquatic Centre
Swimmers will meet their coach in front of the main entrance for the aquatic centre.
Parents will drop off swimmers along West 14th Avenue in front of the pool. Swimmers will walk towards the main entrance door (the second door of Lord Byng) and will be greeted by a VPSC coach.
Dunbar Community Centre (Dryland)
A VPSC coach will meet the swimmers by the entrance closest to the parking lot. We ask our swimmers to arrive 10 minutes prior to the start of their dryland session to ensure an easy transition into our room.